Saturday, November 5, 2011

Forming Goals

Hikaru Nakamura, 2-time US chess champion, Grandmaster

"If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it" once said Lord Kelvin. I don't think this statement is really totally true in my assessment, but I can certainly see where he is coming from. You certainly need to have a clear, assertive mindset about what you are trying to accomplish and the consistency to get things done. You need to be aggressive, persistent, and resourceful. Here are some goals I have in mind that I plan on accomplishing as well as some details regarding their nature and execution, via the tetrahedral concept:

Athletic/Physical: I need to increase my stamina so that is my main focus as of now. Looking at the big picture, I am trying to maximize all aspects of my body's abilities in a general balanced manner. I do not want to train in such a way as to hamper my performance in another area (lose so much weight that it hurts my strength even as it dramatically improves my stamina for example) but an ideal maximal balance must be struck. I do not have any strong preferences in regards to the areas of strength, speed, stamina or agility. I think I shall focus on the best balance overall. At present time, I intend to increase my performance capabilities in all areas (perhaps with emphasis on stamina since this is a weak point). I want to be as strong as a football player, swift as a badminton player, as energetic as a soccer player, and as dexterous and coordinated as a ballet dancer (collegiate, division II type level). If I can reach that general athletic level then I will consider where to improve from there. By the age of 29 I intend to accomplish this. In order to do this I must exercise regularly and at high-moderate intensity. Serious training must be engaged at least 3 days a week, with mild workouts almost daily.

Intellectual/Mind: Fundamental to this aspect are the mental processes and the enhancement of its general capacity, such as the accumulation of knowledge, the improvement of reasoning, developing mental clarity, practical sense, abstract thinking, problem solving, calculating speed, combining and comparing facts and ideas, the ability to employ or to adapt to new contexts conceptual understandings, the strengthening of memory, and enhancement of creativity, as well as numerous other areas regarding the performance functions of mind and the increase of intellect. There can be found a bit of overlap between some intellectual and moral imperatives, but there is a fine distinction. Displaying restraint and possessing self-discipline in the face of strong emotion is a moral imperative, but understanding the process regarding exactly how this technique is to be achieved is an intellectual imperative. I would say that the prerogative in terms of my description of intellect/mind is that it focuses on how the brain works better and can perform best. I try to be a dynamic thinker, and my main goal in this area (or my main inspiring motivation) is to possess a sharper, more competitive intellect than anyone else. I think I have the talent to produce some exceptional results with the brain I have, and I train in order to build maximally on my natural advantage.

Moral/Social: The moral aspect in the tetrahedral construct comprises not only of personal ethics, but also goals, values, community endeavors, duties, career, family, social involvements, romance, faith and spiritual matters, and the development of wisdom. It may also encompass economic pursuits, the proper execution of social roles or responsibilities such as leadership, and the initiation of missions. Life experience, journeys and struggles, as well as emotions (from romantic to vengeful, nostalgic to visceral) can all strengthen one's moral foundation. It is both individual and introspective as well as goal-related and socially-oriented. It is also the pursuit of dreams, and can include such activities like drafting blueprints for goals that one wishes to achieve. It expresses itself in each individual in their thoughts, feelings, and actions. Overall, perhaps this is the most important aspect of the four.  What are my personal aspirations? That would be too simple to list, and I know them all clearly enough already. My work is to ensure that I do what I need to do, and go at the world everyday at 100% power.

I have already listed my Skills/Capabilities goals in my notebook, so it is not necessary to repeat that file here. I am not sure if a rigid, exact, detailed schedule can effectively be implemented on a daily basis, though it is certainly the case that I must have a clear idea of what I am going to do everyday, by the week, by the month, and so on. The goals I have come up with and the plans that I have devised must be resolutely stuck to, unless of course I am presented with a necessary change of plans, based on the continuing circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment